The Women’s Economic Council is a national charity delivering innovative projects across Canada aimed at building and strengthening women’s economic security.
As our new Financial Manager/Accountant, you will work closely with our Interim Executive Director and other senior management staff to strengthen its financial practices. You will use cloud-based tools to prepare our organization’s budget, track our project budgets, administer our accounting function and administer payroll.
This position will require communication and/or reporting to WEC, funders and regulatory agencies. Accuracy and responsiveness and the ability to meet financial reporting requirements and deadlines is essential.
- Support the transition of WEC’s financial processes so focus is on an organizational budget for strategic decision-making and sustainability while ensuring project budgets are administered and reported on separately for stakeholders
- Use collaborative processes to develop solid financial policies that reflect financial management and accounting best practices for a non-profit with charitable status operating within a gender-equity context
- Ensure compliance and reporting requirements for regulatory agencies, funders, the board and management team are met by working in collaboration with WEC’s board and management team
- Generate financial reports from SAGE accounting software and work with project managers to ensure accuracy of reporting against source documents and other financial commitments forecasted to be incurred
- Help project managers prepare a range of time-sensitive project financial reports using funder reporting templates, including advance-funding requests, expense claims, forecasts, variance reports etc.
- Monitor WEC’s cashflow and recommend financial decisions and timing
- Attend weekly meetings to help support WEC to make informed financial decision-making and keeping WEC up-to-date on the status of financial obligations and deadlines
- Set up employees in the online payroll system, administer payroll and offboard departing employees ensuring vacation payouts are calculated accurately and ROE’s are submitted on time
- Administer accounts receivable/payable using cloud-based processes ensuring the timing of financial transactions maintains positive contract relationships and a positive cashflow
- Perform banking transactions, including setting up supplier accounts for automatic credit card payments for recurring charges
- Ensure non-profit GST/HST rebates on purchases are calculated accurately by province, captured in SAGE and submitted to CRA GST/HST for reimbursement
- Maintain an organized, cloud-based filing system for source documents i.e. invoices, expense claims, contracts etc. ensuring easy retrieval and a strong audit trail
- Code expenses to support accurate project reporting; allocating costs to specific projects strategically using the flexibility of approved budgets to best serve the interests of the organization
- Reconcile bank statements monthly and project allocations quarterly
- Make journal entries, including year-end entries
- Ensure payroll remittances, T4s/T4A’s and other regulatory requirements are met
- Assist the independent auditor and/or any government monitoring agents with access to financial records and/or financial inquiries
- Degree in Business with an accounting and/or bookkeeping designation
- At least 3-5 years’ experience in financial administration, including accounting and bookkeeping
- Experience working with SAGE or equivalent accounting software
- Strong digital skills to work virtually with WEC’s team and to maintain cloud-based filing systems (i.e. Google, Microsoft, SAGE, Pay Evolution etc.)
- Ability to work closely with management to ensure responsive financial administration and reporting
- Evidence of maintaining online security and confidentiality in past work
- Experience with non-profit, project-based accounting is an asset
As soon as possible
February 6, 2023 - March 31, 2024 (possibility of extension)
30-40 hours per week at $30-35/hour
- Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] and please include at least two references by Friday, January 20, 2023 at 4:00pm EST
- The name of the files containing your resume and cover letter should include your name and the job title: Financial Manager/Accountant
- Email subject line should include “Financial Manager/Accountant”
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.